BY MEGAN MAHEDY
Your skin is the largest organ of your body. It is also the only organ that is in constant contact with the harsh effects of the outside world. Nevertheless, you don’t need to buy that $100 cream or soak yourself in mud for the amazing benefits of gorgeous, glowing skin. You can start from the inside out by incorporating proper nutrition and a healthy diet. Here are 5 important food-based sources of vital nutrients to help keep your skin soft, glowing, and supple.
- Water: Staying hydrated is not only imperative to healthy skin, but also to maintaining the overall function of the human body. Keeping your skin hydrated is key for beautiful and healthful skin. Drinking enough water improves blood circulation, helps your cells take in nutrients, gets rid of toxins, and keeps your skin moist and youthful. The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate daily water intake for men is roughly 13 cups and 9 cups for women.
- Almonds: Almonds are a fantastic source of Vitamin E. This antioxidant is an important nutrient that may help keep your skin protected from the harsh effects of everyday inflammation and sun damage. These health favorites are easily enjoyable as a snack on the go, baked into your favorite granola, or even in butter form!
- Wild Salmon: Wild salmon is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which help keep your skin moisturized and supple. Salmon is also a source of vitamin D, which is an important mineral for keeping your bones and teeth strong and healthy. Adding salmon is a great option for adding protein, healthy fats, and minerals to your diet. From grilled, baked, or in your sushi, there are numerous ways to enjoy this beauty food.
- Blueberries: As one of our favorite health foods, this low-profile berry was ranked number one in antioxidant activity by the U.S. Department of Agriculture when compared to 40 common fruits and vegetables. Antioxidants are notorious for protecting you from premature aging and oxidation in the cells. Blueberries are an easy, healthy, and delicious addition to your diet. Try adding this beauty berry into a yogurt, smoothie, or salad.
- Spinach: This leafy green is loaded with important nutrients, such as vitamin E, C and B. This beauty-supporting food is a fantastic source of lutein, a key nutrient for healthy eyes and skin. Spinach is also packed with calcium and potassium. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the average cost of a bunch of spinach is $1.05 per pound–making it the perfect staple for a tight student budget. From sautéing, adding to salads, smoothies, dips, or omelets, the options are endless for this nutrient-packed beauty food.